Since the path rewriting issue mentioned previously wasn’t a BlogEngine-specific problem, I was reluctant to invest a large amount of effort to solve the path problem if it would only fix BlogEngine. As it turns out, I can pull a similar trick “on the way out” as the one being applied on the way in. Instead of modifying hundreds of instances of path concatenations in the BlogEngine code, I wrote an HttpModule that “unwrites” the path that GoDaddy seems to be sending in. All that the module has to do is attach to the HttpApplication.PreRequestHandlerExecute event and then wrap another layer around HttpResponse.Filter. This give the module a chance to tinker with the values that the page attempts to write to the output stream. BlogEngine.NET itself uses this same method to add compression... which introduces an interesting ordering concern. I’m attempting to “unwrite” text, so my module’s filter needs to be one of the first ones called — so that it doesn’t ... [More]
I’ve (temporarily) given up on re-working the internal links for BlogEngine.NET. It’s not an intractable problem, but would require such pervasive changes that it’s not something I have time for right now. Instead, I’ve decided to focus on cleaning up the theme I’m using. BlogEngine.NET has a really simple theme system, and since the pages are nicely structured, it should be a straighforward matter to develop a new theme that works for me. Why do I need a new theme? For starters, I can’t stand most of the “tiny text means high-style” designs that seem to pervade the net. Okay, then, why not just change the base font size of an existing theme? Another pervasive practice is to write CSS with absolute (pixel) sizes for fonts, and to do so far more often than is necessary. This is very much like the way that most people use word processors: rather than use styles to manage and maintain a particular look -- which makes altering the layout far easier, incidentally -- they manually change th... [More]
This makes for an odd first blog, but if I wait until everything’s “just so”, I’ll never get anything posted. In theory, my site should exist at http://blog.jaredreisinger.com. This works, but you may notice that all of the intra-site links start with http://blog.jaredreisinger.com/jaredreisinger-blogengine.web/. This is because GoDaddy’s shared domain hosting (where you have more than one domain hosted from the same account) injects the hosting directory into the incoming URL. My apologies for getting technical; they won’t all be this way...
If you’re familiar with the way that HTTP works, you know that a request for “http://blog.jaredreisinger.com” really means that a connection is made to “blog.jaredreisinger.com”, and a HTTP request is sent that looks something like:
GET / HTTP/1.1
The “Host:” line tells the server that even though it might be hosting ma... [More]